Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.
Colossians 3:1-3 NIV
The believer's identity in Christ changes everything. We are no longer to see things from an earthly perspective, but with a new heavenly, godly, eternal perspective.
The rest of Colossians 3 gives many practical ways my new perspective is to guide how I live and act. Some of these are:
- Put to death what belongs to my earthly nature (e.g., sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires, greed) - v.5
- Rid myself of anger, rage, malice, slander, filthy language, and lying - vv.8,9
- Clothe myself with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience, gratitude, the peace of Christ, thankfulness, and most of all, love - vv. 12,14,16
- Forgive all grievances I have against other believers as the Lord forgave us - v.13
- As a husband, love my wife and do not be harsh with her - v.19
- As a father, avoid embittering my children so they will not become discouraged - v.21
- I am to obey my earthly masters in everything, with sincerity of heart and reverence for God, working with all my heart, as working for the Lord, not for men - vv.22-23
Lord, thank you for this new perspective I have as your child, who has been buried and resurrected with Jesus Christ. Thank you for the practical instruction You have given us. Holy Spirit, please work in me to transform my thinking and behavior to align with Your Word. Jesus, please live in me and through me as I seek to know You, love you, and do Your will.