3. Jesus calls us to repent and eagerly seek after Him (John 4:25-26, 28-30, 39)
The woman said, “I know that Messiah” (called Christ) “is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.” Then Jesus declared, “I who speak to you am he.”
Then, leaving her water jar, the woman went back to the town and said to the people, “Come, see a man who told me everything I ever did. Could this be the Christ?” They came out of the town and made their way toward him.
Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman's testimony, “He told me everything I ever did.”
- Jesus called her out on her behavior. It is not OK to come to Jesus but continue in sinful habits.
- American gospel would tell you that we're basically good, and God loves you. And He does--that part is true, but if you just take that gospel, you'll be left with emptiness, shame, and guilt, because you have to deal with your sin.
- Repentance means to turn away from sin and turn towards God
- NIV Study Bible notes (Matt 3:2) say, "Repentance is not merely a change of mind but a radical change in one's life as a whole that especially involves forsaking sin and turning or returning to God."
- NIV Study Bible notes (Mark 1:4) say, "Repentance involves deliberate turning from sin to righteousness... God always grants forgiveness when there is repentance."
- Repentance is a gift from God
- 2 Timothy 2:25 talks about how the believer should treat his opponents so that "God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth."
- Acts 5:31 talks of Jesus, "God exalted him at his right hand as Leader and Savior, to give repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins."
- Acts 11:18 after God gave the Holy Spirit to Gentile believers, "...And they glorified God, saying, "Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life.""
- So don't hold on to your guilt and your shame. Eagerly seek Jesus.
- Hebrews 11:6: "And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him."
- Matthew 6:33: "But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."
- Jesus is eagerly seeking after you.
- You will never be damaged goods, too far gone to turn to Him.
- Get rid of your shame and guilt. Turn from your sin and turn to God.
- Romans 10:9, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
- Eagerly seek Jesus. He will give each of us living water, that is the Holy Spirit. Nothing else will satisfy us.
*All Scriptures are ESV except where otherwise noted.